21 Oct 2011

Innovations in Writing for New Media

After 7 weeks of lecture in Writing for New Media, I am really impressed by the number of innovative tools in the world of the new media to express ourselves! In the past, I would just use new media tools that my friends are using, and I was just the trend-follower. But now, after knowing that there are so much in the Internet world waiting for me to explore, I started to actively seek out new media tools which can help me express myself in a creative and individualistic way.

After the presentations a few weeks ago, I explored the web for some other innovative content-creation tools and here's what I found....issuu!

I came across it when I was reading the news online. I found this unfamiliar button. I clicked on it, and I was instantly attracted by the colourful webpage in front of me. It is a site which allows everyone to be a publisher. By simply uploading a document, I can instantly turn it into a magazine-like publication and share it with others online. Viewers can rate it or like it through Facebook, and they can embed the publications to their own websites or blogs. Sharing can never be easier!

Here's a way to recap our presentation on 280 slides using Issuu:




Does it look like a real book? It even creates the glossy surface similar to a magazine! It makes reading online a lot more fun!

You can only read at home? Think again.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udH3sYeBDa4

Issuu is supported by mobile devices like iPhone and iPad so you can read 'on the go'. There's no excuse for not reading anymore! Tools  like Issuu changes our way of reading, making it a leisure activity that can be done anywhere, anytime.

Besides publishing my own work, I can also read other people's publications and comment on them. I also have access to magazines not available in Hong Kong for free! It creates an online community for publishers and readers. If anyone of you wants to be a writer, or if you have writer's block in need of inspiration, do check out this tool and don't be shy to publish your work online!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for introducing this tool - I'd be interested to know a bit more about the process of content creation and publication. It looks like the content is perhaps generated from an uploaded pdf file - is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this incredible creation tool Jenifer and I do like your idea that this tool allows everyone to be publisher!

    But my concern is does issuu create copyright problems?
    Since everybody can now scan the magazines and books that are created by others, any publication can now go online without consent!
    Would there be anyone of issuu (Maybe their staff) monitoring the copyright situation so as to prevent the condition I mentioned?

    Maybe my concern is due to my limited understanding of the tool, so please correct me if you do not think so!=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds cool! People have been creating magazines but they're usually in .exe format. (Sometimes it sucks because the firewall blocks me from opening .exe files) This tool is a really good alternative. Thanks for sharing Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for introducing this creative tool, Jenifer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christoph:
    Yes, you are right. Users will upload their files to the site, and it will help them publish the files so that it looks like a magazine. We can also keep on online library of our own 'publications' as well as subscribe to other people's 'publications'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken:
    Thanks for your question. Once you signed up, you can adjust your level of sharing. If you want to upload a document that will likely to create a copyright issue, you have the option of keeping it private so that no one else except you can view it. Issuu also takes this issue very seriously. There's a whole page dedicated to copyright issue on Issuu's website: http://issuu.com/about/copyright
    It will remove any materials which infringes copyright.

    ReplyDelete